Thursday, September 20, 2012

My Qualia Problem

      The argument of Mind-Body dualism fascinates me. Separate or the same? There are countless arguments for and against either side, but I tend to find myself a dualist thinker. I switched to this side of the argument, surprisingly as I am a big proponent of science having an explanation for everything. Frank Jackson's The Qualia Problem was influential in my thinking that the mind is separate from the body, and I will now do my best to give a quick recap of the argument.
      The main point of the argument is that there are some experiences, despite having all knowledge and physical descriptions, definitions, etc., that cannot be completely be described as knowledge just from a physical aspect. The argument goes on to give two very clear-cut examples of how this can be true. Both examples use the sense of vision in humans. The first example uses an individual, "Fred" with an extraordinary ability to distinguish two types of red coloring in objects in which no other human can see. We might have all of the physical knowledge of the process of how sight happens from cones and rods to the brain  but we still cannot know what seeing these two colors would be like. This actual experience would bring about a new understanding of what Fred was going through. This new perception could be nothing more than new knowledge, which physicalism alone cannot explain.
      Now there would be some who would argue this point, fair enough. Most would attack the qualia argument through the concept of knowledge. For instance, the gaining of the incredible new sight Fred had would not be considered new at all, but rather a sort of affirmation of the physical knowledge already obtained.
       However, Jackson would probably argue that this reaffirmation is a little too in depth. Simply put, to me,  a new experience such as seeing a new color would definitely be new knowledge as opposed to an update on already understood information. The qualia argument just hits so home to me, being as clever as it is, in that I can relate to instances in which a new experience could not be explained by physical means alone. I could be told how the feeling of euphoria comes about in the brain and have all leading scientists tell me about how winning an NBA championship game would bring about this feeling, but there would be nothing like experiencing that actual winning of the NBA championship. I can't help but think I would learn something new that cannot be explained by physical means alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment