Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Other Half


There seem to be various characteristics that are related to having a meaningful life. As I study other cultures, especially in Journeys, I realize that almost every book we read proves the same point: that despite cultural differences, we are all striving toward the same things through the same ways: by being good and virtuous, by seeking truth, by standing by our beliefs. As I’m reading all of these different accounts written at different times and in various parts of the world, I keep asking myself how we can all have the same outlooks on life and value the same things despite so many differences in our upbringings, our experiences, and our cultures.
            But are these beliefs really applicable to everyone? The writings that we read often generalize. Socrates says that “an examined life is not worth living,” meaning that without constant reflection and analysis of our actions, desires, beliefs, and overall person, our lives are worthless. But what about those who find meaning in doing bad? Who find life more bearable without contemplation? A thief sees nothing wrong in stealing from others. He may find that it gives him some sort of purpose. On the flip side, a person who volunteers at a soup kitchen finds purpose in serving food to the homeless. What makes the two different? One’s actions are looked down upon and the other’s aren’t, but who’s right? Each action gives that particular person fulfillment, so should it be questioned?
            We spend much of our lives pursuing the good because that what we’re taught to believe is right. But what about the other part of society that apparently doesn’t feel that way? How do the so-called dregs feel and what are their philosophies on life? Because obviously ours don’t match up, so who’s right?
            When I do something wrong, I feel bad. Action. Reaction. I don’t even have to be reprimanded for it to feel bad about it. It could be something as simple as lying to my parents about my whereabouts. Even if they were to never find out that I lied, I know it’s wrong. I know it’s wrong because it doesn’t align with my philosophy of having a true and honest existence. But what about for those who don’t feel bad when lying to their parents? Are they suddenly bad people? I may not agree with their actions, but it may be OK by their own philosophy.
            I wish I knew more about the other half. The ones who are condemned by those of us who think that what they do is wrong. Because there’s something to be said that they continue to do what we consider bad. And maybe they’re living a pretty meaningful life, too. Otherwise, why would they continue to live the way they do? We’ve studied, quite thoroughly, the arguments as to why we should good, honest, and truthful lives. But why not study and give voice to the other half? Is living the good life really the only way to live? Can we know until we’ve given thought to something else? I wish more study would be given to this other school of thought, but studying it could only open our eyes further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment